Friday, February 27, 2009

FIRST Robotics

Max and Deeda went to watch the ATC/ConVal team compete in the FIRST Robotics competition today. Max liked seeing all the robots with their moving parts. He also liked wearing the team t-shirt. And he really liked cotton candy! But he didn't like wearing the safety glasses (they are required of anyone entering the pit area).

Watching robots is tiring business (yes, Max is asleep on Deeda's head).

Tuesday, February 17, 2009


So, from previous posts, you know that my truck suffered about $3,000 in damages from the ice storm. It took a while for me to get an estimate (a delay on my part). Then, because of the large number of vehicles damaged in the storm, the truck didn't go into the shop until about a week ago.

Imagine my surprise to get a phone call this morning to let me know the truck had been damaged during a fire in the body shop!

The truck had no external damage -- it was 3-4 cars away from the fire. But the back window of the truck had been removed as part of the repairs, so water from the sprinklers and fire hoses got inside. I've been assured that everything will be corrected. But, still....

Here's the news item as carried on WMUR, Channel 9. FWIW, the news story is wrong. I was told that three cars were a total loss and that 4-5 others (including mine) were damaged.

Two cars were damaged during a fire at Prestige Auto Body late Monday.Fire officials said one employee was in the shop when the one-alarm fire broke out. He heard the fire alarm going off, looked into the bay area of the building and saw smoke, then called the fire department.Crews were already responding because of the building's automatic fire system notification.Fire officials said the fire broke out in the engine compartment of a car that was hooked up to battery power. That car was destroyed. Another car suffered fire damage to its rear section.Crews said the building's sprinkler system extinguished a good portion of the fire. The building did not suffer any structural damage.Fire officials said the fire was not suspicious.