Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cablebox Reunion

Although I bought it about a year ago and have talked about it with many people, both family and non-family, I realized I had never posted anything about our "new" boat.

Bought it on eBay for a surprisingly low cost.  Not sure of the exact age, but probably about 50 years old.  However, in the 80s, a father-son team re-built it and registered it in Massachusetts as a handmade boat.  So, when I registered it in Maine, the title shows 1984 as the year it was built.

Since it was too late last year to use it in Maine, it lived in Sharon while I did some upgrades--changed out the steering and controls, added a bilge pump, etc.  Now, it's ready to go to its new home on Mooselookmeguntic.

A couple of interesting stories.

First, everyone groans when I say I bought a wooden boat.  Will it leak?  Well, the time-honored way to deal with wooden boats is to put about six inches of water in them until the wood swells and (hopefully) seals all the joints.  When I first put the water in it leaked like a sieve--all the water poured out in about two hours.  But a day or two later, amazingly, just an occasional drip.  Hooray!

Next, the question of what to name it?  Boats, especially wooden ones must have a name.  And, once named, it is very bad luck to change it.  I could find no evidence that it had ever been named, so I came up with a few traditional ideas and ran them by my family.  Okay, they thought, but Lauren decided to ask Max what he thought.  As she tells the story, Max immediately said "Cablebox Reunion."  What it means, and where it came from, only he knows.  However, that's what it is.

Cablebox is beautiful, isn't she?

No comments: